Friday, February 18, 2011

Week of 2.14 - 2.18

Today we had a class 'pep talk' about how the kids' behavior and moods have gone astray in the past two weeks, and what we can do to get it back on track.  This time of year is difficult:  the weather is changing, ISATS are around the corner, Hubbard Street ends next week, we just finished a big project, and the kids generally feel a little anxious for spring.  So much is changing!  As a teacher, I'm trying to balance fun, energetic learning (particularly ISAT prep) with a consistent routine and focused lessons.  I'm striving to maintain a high standard of academic responsibility and behavior, despite the kids feeling ornery, while keeping a positive and encouraging environment through this last week of test prep. 

How can you help at home? 
  • Help your kids get to bed on time (many have admitted to reading under the covers or waking up in the middle of the night)
  • Encourage them to eat a healthful, hearty breakfast
  • Pack a healthful morning snack and water bottle
  • Ask your kids about how they're feeling about ISATS, ask them what we're working on, etc.
  • Encourage them to play outside a little each day
Reading:   We reviewed the kids' extended response:  all of them improved their scores!  We also continued to discuss the different ways in which reading can be monitored/ tested.  We reviewed their scores on the practice ISAT by grade- it turned out to be really fun! 

In conjunction with the heritage project, we began watching a fantastic PBS documentary in which several celebrities (musicians, athletes, directors, poets, journalists) explore their heritage.  Here is the link in case you're interested; it can be viewed in chapters.    http://video.pbs.org/video/1409020390

I didn't formally assign any homework this weekend (the homework board literally said "aaaaahhhh" in place of "heritage project").  However, I did encourage them to spend 15-20 minutes on Study Island a few times this weekend.

4th grade math:  We continued to work on long division this week.  We also began looking at map coordinates and scale.  My goal is to test the kids on Unit Six before the ISATS so we don't have to take a huge haitus in the middle of the chapter.  On the other hand, I don't want to push them to where they're not ready.  More to details to follow next week:  if we progress smoothly, we may test Unit 6 next Friday.  If I don't feel they're ready, we won't rush it.
Writing:  Our writing blocks were spent wrapping up the heritage projects.  I know that you have all helped the kids  in many ways.  They are thrilled to share their work and I'm excited to see what they've created.  We will most likely have presentations the week of ISATS, when we have large chunks of time that won't be spent in intense learning situations.  I'll write more when I have more info. 

Science:  With Hubbard Street twice this week and Valentine's Day, we didn't have science!  Back to the labs next week... we can't wait.



Miscellaneous:
  • Here's an easy way to help Whittier and be 'green' at the same time:  Bring in your empty printer cartridges (inkjet and laser) and used cell phones to the recycling center to Whittier's lobby. The Wildcat Council kids will recycle the cartridges and cell phones through Funding Factory to earn new technology and/or recreational equipment or cash.  You can get your employer or business to help too.  Just have them register online at www.FundingFactory.com, provide  Whittier's ID# 167320 and they can ship printer cartridges to Funding Factory for free with all proceeds going to Whittier's PTO.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Blog Archive