The Fun Run was wonderful, our root beer float celebration in honor of earning 20 class paws was a hit, the launch of our new science unit was met with lots of giggles and excitement. We had another fun week!
I look forward to seeing all of you at conferences next week!
Reading: We've been talking about using text support to answer comprehension and personal response questions in our reading. I'm happy to say that I've noticed drastic improvement in the kids' responses. I've been using students' strong responses as models for the class. They are proud to see their writing used as examples, and it's helped others see what text support, connections and opinions look and sound like. Ask your kids how the story "The Abacus Contest" fits in with our theme of Cooperation and Competition.
Writing: Today I introduced the 'writing relay.' This is where 3 people team together to write different parts of a story or an essay. As it was our first experience, we wrote for a very brief amount of time. Our focus for the relays was... focus. I'll start to use the relays as teaching tools in our writing mini lessons and throughout the year we will do relays to specifically target certain areas of the writing process like organization, focus, a strong opener, etc. Today's relays weren't exactly the MOST focused as it was also our Root Beer Float celebration, but it was a great way to introduce an activity that we'll use throughout the year!
Science: Our short week of science included an introductory activity about the systems of the body and some background information about the human skeleton. We read about exoskeletons and endoskeletons and practiced underlining and pulling out information from an article. We also used a venn-diagram to compare the two types of skeletons. Ask your kids about all the bones they could feel through the different stretches we did!
Math: The kids took their Unit 2 test today. Next week we will start Unit 3: Multiplication and Division; Number Sentences and Algebra. More info to come!
Miscellaneous:
- I will be asking the kids to purchase a flash drive on which they'll save their writing. They can be purchased at places like Office Depot, Staples, or even Target for about $5-$10. More info at conferences.
- If your kids bring snacks in tupperware, please labele it with their initials. If I know whose it is, I can return it if it gets left behind in class!
- 5th grade families: I am accepting Camp Edwards permission slips and fees.
- Our poor butterfly chair needs a seamstress! If you can sew the ripped corner, let us know!
Monday:It was our first 3 day weekend! The 12011 Record Book came out, too.
Tuesday: It's the 10th week of school! The weird thing is that as a historian I have to watch all the people inthe room. I am a little like a spy.
Wednesday: We went a little bonkers with Ms. K. this morning during stand. [As a result, we talked about transition behavior during our stand meeting.]
Thursday: We had a "fun" run today. They played music and we ran around a track in the field. Some people thought it was fun, others didn't. We got popsicles when we were done.
Friday: We had root beer floats for getting 20 class paws. In math the 4th graders had our Unit 2 test.
Room 303 Rules!!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.